Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Best Garment Saving Tip EVER

Particularly for those with children! If it seems like they are growing out of their jeans way too quick, try this. Wash the jeans in cold water. When they come out of the wash, hold the waist band of the jeans in one hand, the hem in the other, and pull. Yes, literally. You are stretching the pants out. Then let them air dry.

It works wonders! Apparently cotton continues to shrink little by little after repeated wash/dry cycles. I thought my oldest had suffered another growth spurt, but this little trick added so much length to the jeans she ended up stepping on the cuffs! The only tricky part is if you stretch one leg at a time, making sure to stretch them by the same amount.

3 comments:

  1. Hehe. I remember my mom stretching out my dad's undershirts this way, since they used to shrink the same way. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this tip is totally useless to me personally but I am amazed that this works... How did you find out? Some happy accident in the laundry room?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dave: (you can see how long it's been since I last had time to blog!) I was scouring the internet for ways to salvage my daughters' jeans besides the obvious "turn them into shorts". This is one of the tips I found, and it seemed much easier than sewing on decorative fabric at the hem, which is the other good tip I found.

    ReplyDelete