Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On the Mend

One of the hardest parts of cutting back has been mending clothes. To be blunt about it, I abhor menial sewing tasks. Replacing buttons? Hemming pants? Bleh. But I have steeled myself to the ennui of mending to serve the greater good.

The best example is my black wool coat. I have worn this coat for three winters now. Around December last year, I nearly broke down and bought a new one, because I had literally worn the edges through at the wrist. My favorite smart-looking and professional coat had officially reached "shabby" status. But I really, really, REALLY did not want to spend $100 or more on a new wool coat.

Enter: scraps of black satin left over from another sewing project. (Remember, it's not sewing I despise, just mending.) I cut two long rectangles, and used machine- and hand-sewing to attach the rectangles to the sleeves to serve as bindings! Shabby solved! In fact, the black-on-black satin-plus-wool texture combination was pretty stylish looking.

This simple repair helped the coat survive the rest of the winter. It since has lost a button, and the satin bindings are starting to look ratty too. Of course, the past two mornings have been cold enough I had to repair the button so I could wear it again. I might even have to new bindings on the sleeves.... maybe with matching binding on the collar to pull the whole look together!

No comments:

Post a Comment