Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Arguments against Cutting Costs

There are two major reasons I use to jusify why I don't save more money (particularly in the grocery arena): not enough time, or not enough space.

I know it will save money if I cook everything from scratch instead of buying pre-packaged meals. But how much is a person's time really worth? If I spend one hour making bread from scratch, is it really "savings" over buying a loaf for $3.00?

I could also save some money if I bought more units when non-perishables are on sale, or bought more products in bulk. On the other hand, how much does clutter end up costing? (Especially when I buy great organizing doodads that never quite seem to work out like the ads would have you believe!)

Why do I mention all this? Well, today I just did something I never expected. I bought discounted holiday products to use next year. The local grocery store had PAAS Easter Egg dyeing kits for 75% off. Two of them (one of which included glow in the dark paint!) only cost $1.25. They won't go bad, and I know they'll get used one year from now. I've never done it before because I didn't want to be "that mom" whose home was cluttered with "just in case" sale purchases. But I think - at least this time - buying merchandise after the holiday turned out to be a great deal!

2 comments:

  1. The family that used to stuff the eggs for my church's Easter egg hunt would buy 2,000 plastic eggs and accompanying Hershey's kisses and jelly beans, the weekend AFTER Easter (jelly beans and Hershey's kisses last forever). My mother-in-law buys Christmas cards after Christmas... of course my mother-in-law is "that mom" you mentioned. Her house is stuffed to the gills with just-in-case purchases, but the case rarely arises (only just often enough to keep the buying habit going), and she never throws anything away.

    As for bread-making... homemade bread is fun to make and delicious! But probably not economical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and if you have a dyeing emergency at 1am which has happened here you can always use them to dye wool as well. That way it's not just holiday usage! Virag

    ReplyDelete