Thursday, April 9, 2009

Compost Happens

Or not. As the case may be. Somehow, I have managed to fail at so basic a process as rot. I have two lovely black plastic bins, Soilsaver brand. They bask in the sun. But the compost never heats up. I move it from one bin to the other every other week or so to help aerate the maturing rot. And yet nothing happens.

Part of the problem: big bits. I haven't been the best at rendering the future soil into itty bitty pieces to make the process go faster.

But I think my compost has been too dry as well. When I was turning the pile today, it looked, well mummified! No kidding - I spent longer today watering my rotting vegetables than my newly started vegetables!

2 comments:

  1. http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

    We're (that is to say I am going to let him know) are considering this project for help composting:>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Littleman would love that!

    If you were going to use worms from the garden as starters, how would you know the difference between Eisenia Foetida and Lumbricus Rebellus? Sounds like Eisenia Foetida is much better for composting.

    ReplyDelete