Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Hard(ening) Truth

I am good at starting seedlings.

"Hardening off" so they are ready to plant outside - not so much.

So far I have lost about half of my first indoor babies (various brassicas, spring onions and celery) to the vicissitudes of the outdoors. The wind, the rain, the sun, all have taken their toll.

I started off with plenty of seedlings in a Burpee Ultimate Growing System (which I adore, btw).  They germinated like crazy, and after a few weeks I transferred them to peat pots.  I used a mix of soil from my own garden, and potting soil, since some websites say that it's best to get the babies adjusted to their ultimate home.  That probably was not the best idea, ultimately, since my garden is largely clay, and the seedlings always seem to be drying out too much.  I lost a couple in the first few days due to the abuse of being repotted.  A few days to adjust to their new environment, and then I started the hardening off process.

So far, this has not been a terribly positive experience.

The crazy valley wind has broken stems, which were too long and spindly due to inadequate indoor light.  The sunshine - however gradual - has been too much for their little leaves.  Trying to keep them sufficiently watered has caused many to die of damping-off disease.  Right now I am just really... really... discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment